We can’t leave summer behind without giving the most sexy fruit some special attention in our Product Highlight: Cherry. I don’t think I know a single person, who doesn’t love cherries and have some great memories picking them. Make sure you enjoy them while you can!
- The word “cherry” comes from the Turkish town of Cerasus. Cherries are apart of the Rosaceae family, which also include almonds, peaches, apricots and plums
- The rich red color of the cherries comes from anthocyanins, which can help soothe muscle and joint pain. Another favorite post-workout snack on our list!
- The Phytosterols and pectin content in cherries is high. This soluble fibre helps lower bad cholesterol levels and enhances heart health. The regular fibre in cherries promotes digestion, prevents constipation and aids in weight loss. Now who doesn’t want that?!
- Can’t sleep? The cherry is one of the few known food sources of melatonin, a naturally occurring hormone that helps to regulate the body’s circadian rhythms and our sleep patterns
- And ofcourse the cherry has its fair share of Vitamin C! This vitamin is necessary for the collagen formation of bones, blood, muscle and blood vessels and helps the body absorb iron
Tip: Select cherries that are shiny and firm, with green stems attached. Green stems are a freshness indicator
Tip: Store cherries unwashed and uncovered in the coldest part of the fridge