I’m usually pretty stoked about new recipes, but this recipe for Healthy Savory Waffles is one of my latest favorite creations! Everybody is always in for a good waffle, usually made during weekends, since it’s not that healthy to have everyday (especially for the ones who like to have a few slabs of bacon and drown the waffle in maple syrup!).
This version still requires flour, but instead of white flour, we used a 50/50 mix of rye and spelt flour, but you can use any type you like. Ok, the cheese is not the most low-cal ingredient, but I believe cheese is an essential part of making things savory (cheese addict, I admit it). Also, we added spinach, olives and spring onion! Lovely combo and I even brought these with me as an afternoon snack the next day! Who said waffles are only for the weekends?
List of Ingredients (makes about 10 pieces):
- 1¾ cups of flour of choice
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 ¾ cups (Nut) Milk
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 Eggs (where egg whites are separated and beaten stiffly)
- 2 hands of Spinach
- 1/4 cup of Black Olives (stones removed)
- 2 Spring Onions
- 1 cup grated Cheese (e.g. Cheddar)
- 6 Tbsp of Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Pesto (optional)
How to Make Healthy Savory Waffles:
- Switch on waffle maker so it can reach the right temperature
- Add dry ingredients together and mix
- Add Milk, Oil and Egg Yolks together in another bowl and mix
- Beat Egg Whites until they form stiff peaks
- Slice Spinach, Olives and Spring Onions into smaller pieces
- Now add wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix well
- Mix in 1/3 of Egg whites, then add rest of Egg Whites
- Add the chopped veggies, Cheese and Maply Syrup
- Pour mixture into waffle maker and wait until they’re golden brown!