It was about time to highlight this fruit! We love the banana and all the nutrition it brings, not to mention the fact that it serves as a lifesaver if you want to curb cravings in the afternoon or a perfect snack before or after a workout.
It makes every smoothie more delicious, creamier and it combines with nearly any type of fruit. Read more about this superfruit we can’t go without.
- There are hundreds of edible varieties that fall under two distinct species: the sweet banana (Musa sapienta) and the plantain banana (Musa paradisiacal)
- Nearly all the bananas sold in stores are cloned from the Cavendish banana plant, originally native to Southeast Asia. The banana plant is classified as a tree-like perennial herb, and the fruit itself is considered, believe it or not, a berry
- Banana’s are a mood enhancer due to high levels of tryptophan, which the body converts to serotonin, which is a brain neurotransmitter that affects your state of mind. Plus, vitamin B6 can help you sleep well, and magnesium helps to relax muscles
- We did not know this, but banana peels are edible and packed with nutrients, think vitamin B6 and B12, as well as magnesium, potassium, fiber and protein
- A nutritious fruit to eat, but it can benefit your skin too! Apply the inside of a banana peel to pimples to naturally dry out these blemishes. Tested this, and it actually works!
Tip: Place banana’s in a paper bag adding an apple to accelerate the riping process
Tip: Not planning to eat your banana’s anytime soon, but not fond of the overripe ones? Put them in the freezer. They’ll keep for about 2 months and instantly chill that morning smoothie!