This vegetable is part of our diet nearly every week. We just love to use Broccoli in a lot of dishes, especially in a spicy stir-fry. It makes a great addition to juices and smoothies as well, although we do think you’ll have to add some extra sweetness of fruits etc. to balance flavors. You already know broccoli is über-healthy, but let’s see if we can surprise you with some new facts in this week’s Product Highlight: Broccoli
- The word broccoli comes from the Italian plural of broccolo, which means “the flowering crest of a cabbage” and belongs to the Italica Cultivar group of the Brassicaceae family
- Broccoli is a great source of vitamins C (twice the amount compared to an orange!) and K, folic acid, calcium, potassium and fiber
- Sulforaphane keeps the stomach bacteria Helicobacter pylori in pace, preventing it from clinging too strongly to your stomach wall and as a result keeping your stomach lining healthy
- Glucoraphanin, gluconasturtiian and glucobrassicin are three phytonutrients which are found in a special combination in broccoli, which make them a superpowerful trio for your body’s detox process
- Glucoraphanin has also been connected with reversing the negative effects of sun exposure. With the amount of Vitamin A, broccoli can help promote healthy skin! Don’t forget that sunscreen though!