Now if there is anything that smells and tastes like autumn, it must be the warm and hearty fragrance and flavor of cinnamon. This wonderful spice makes a lot of things taste better, besides a bunch of healthy benefits.
We love our cinnamon in various dishes, sweet and savory, and so we couldn’t be more excited for Friday’s recipe, which must be one of our favorite (hot!) drinks ever! But we are not going to spoil the surprise, patience is a virtue people! In the meantime, we have some interesting facts for you about CINNAMON!
- Cinnamomum verum is often considered to be the real deal, while most cinnamon in international commerce is derived from related species, which are referred to as Cassia to distinguish them from the cinnamomum verum
- The flavor of cinnamon is due to an aromatic essential oil that makes up 0.5 to 1% of its composition
- The best remedy for a horrible stomach bug is cinnamon, since this spice is a powerful anti-bacterial. As a digestive cinnamon dramatically reduces bloating, while it kills the bacteria, reduces infections and enables the gastric juices to work normally
- Cinnamon apparently has the effect of thinning your blood thereby increasing blood circulation. An increased blood flow generally boosts your metabolism which is why it may be helpful in weight loss
- Ancient folklore says the smell of cinnamon is the best cure for the winter blues and because of the high levels of Manganese, cinnamon is considered to be an excellent candidate to diminish the effects of PMS. Now we finally understand why a hot drink with this lovely spice can be so comforting…