We have such a special fruit for you this week! Figs are delicious eaten fresh as well as dried, but we do recommend to eat the fresh version, since the dried as full flavor they can be, have a higher sugar content.
Besides the numerous ways to add these babies to your diet, the amount of nutrition is unimaginable. Let us put down some facts about the amazing fig for you right here!
- Figs are available from June through September with some varieties available through autumn. Figs grow on the Ficus tree (Ficus carica), which is a member of the Mulberry family
- You might not think the leaves of the fig tree as edible, but the leaves of the fig have been shown to have antidiabetic properties and also protect your kidneys
- Figs are high in natural sugars, minerals and fiber. They are rich in minerals including potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron and copper and are a good source of antioxidants, vitamins A, E and K
- The consumption of figs can reduce fatigue, improve brain memory and prevent anemia
- The amount of Tryptophan in figs induces good sleep and helps get rid of sleep disorders, such as insomnia
Tip: Fresh figs should be purchased only a day or two in advance before use. Look for figs that have a rich, deep color and are plump and tender, but not mushy. They should have firm stems and be free of bruises. Figs should have a mildly sweet fragrance