Ginger is never mentioned among the ever growing list of superfoods, but if you ask our opinion it is something to have at hand at all times. When I was a kid I used to hate the pieces of ginger my mom added to her dishes, but I have come to appreciate the flavor and I now see all the great qualities it has. Another great addition to our Product Highlight!
- The spice ginger is the underground rhizome of the ginger plant, known botanically as Zingiber officinale
- In herbal medicine, ginger is regarded as soothing for the intestinal tract and an excellent carminative, which is a substance which promotes the elimination of intestinal gas. Learning new words everyday!
- Ginger is very effective in preventing the symptoms of motion sickness, especially seasickness
- Slices of ginger root, boiled in water with lemon or orange juice and honey, is a popular herbal drink in ayurvedic medicine to relieve common cold, cough, and sore throat
- Aside its own nutrients, ginger improves the absorption of essential nutrients in the body
- Ginger is believed to have anti-inflammatory qualities that may relieve swelling and pain
Tip: If you still have a piece of unpeeled ginger left, place the root with the cut end in a soil filled flower pot. In this way it won’t dry out, stays fresh and is ready to use anytime you need it. Not a plant lover? Store ginger in the fridge and it will keep for up to a month