It’s time for a superfood update and therefore this week’s Product Highlight are Hemp Seeds! They have this delicious nutty flavor and we use them in our smoothies all the time, as well as in salads or homemade granola. A tablespoon or two of these seeds will give you a sufficient dose of energy and other benefits as described below.
- Hemp is a commonly used term for varieties of the Cannabis plant and its products, which include fiber, oil, and seed. Hemp can be refined into products such as hemp seed foods, oil, cloth and paper. Not to worry, you are not using the actual hemp used as a drug when dropping some seeds in your smoothie. That’s another variant called Cannabis Sativa which contains THC
- The oil in hemp seeds consists 75-80% out of polyunsaturated fatty acids (the good fats!) and only 9-11% of saturated fatty acids. The essential fatty acids (EFAs) found in hemp seeds oil are essential since our bodies do not naturally produce them
- Hemp Seeds are a more digestible protein than meat, whole eggs, cheese, human milk, cows milk, or any other high protein food, so perfect for the vegetarian or vegan peeps among us!
- Hemp provides high amounts of soluble fibers which keep your digestive tract healthy and clean
- Hemp seeds can control your sugar levels, due to its healthy fats that help quick absorption of glucose from the bloodstream and its conversion into energy. Essential for people suffering from diabetes, but also if you are trying to shed some pounds. It keeps your (sweet) cravings under control and energy levels up!