What would the world look like without delicious red grapes? You might think about your glass of wine, but there are many ways to eat these little ones. These berries (Yes, they are!) have a bunch of health properties. So in this Product Highlight, let’s talk about red grapes!
- Grapes are a rich source of minerals like copper, iron, potassium and manganese. Iron is especially concentrated in raisins. Raisins contain a mere 15% water. For this reason, nutrients and calories are more concentrated and make a perfect snack!
- Various phytonutrients in grapes are believed to be linked to life longevity, where Resveratrol is the most significant type
- Red grapes contain a different type of enzymes called Anthocyanins, which is a type of anti-oxidant with anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory properties. The anti-oxidant compounds are mainly found in the skin and seeds
- No wonder red grapes are known for its hydrating qualities, while they consist 80% out of water. And with only 69 calories in 100 grams, we know what we are going to munch on during a hot summer!
- They are an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, carotenes, B-complex vitamins such as riboflavin and thiamin. In short each grape is a natural multi-vitamin!
Tip: Select grapes that are plump and free from wrinkles and not leaking juice. Also, take a look at their stem. The grapes should be firmly attached and the area around the attachment should have the same color as the rest of the grape
Tip: Always store grapes in the fridge, loosely wrapped in a paper towel and in an airtight container or plastic bag. Only wash when you are about to use them and in this way they’ll keep fresh for up to 5 days